top of page

Home > Practice Areas > Car & Truck Accidents

Car & Truck Accidents

Car accidents can be overwhelming, even in the simplest cases. It can be hard to know what to do after an accident, especially if you’ve been injured and are dealing with the consequences of those injuries such as loss of work or medical bills.

Car Accident Lawyer

If you have been injured in a car accident or lost a loved one in a car accident, contact experienced car accident attorney Jim Fleenor for a free consultation. You pay us nothing unless and until you recover.

What should I do immediately after a car accident?

  • Call 911, especially if you or someone else is injured. It may take the police a while to arrive, so the sooner help is called, the better.

  • Always move, if possible, to a safe place. Many people who survive a car accident with no injuries are then hurt when someone crashes into their wrecked car or are hit while standing or walking near the scene of their accident.

  • If you think you are hurt, don’t refuse medical treatment. While it may seem like you are fine, it doesn’t hurt to let paramedics check you out.

  • Get as much information as possible after an accident. Use your cell phone to take pictures of the following:

    • IDs of everyone involved and any witnesses

    • All of the vehicles involved in the accident, including their damage and plates

    • Vehicles and license plates of any witnesses

    • First responders’ vehicles and the names of the responders (such as fire, police, rescue, and ambulance)

    • The road, shoulder, and any signage near the accident 

  • Don’t apologize or admit that the accident was your fault. Be honest with the police officers about what you remember happened.

  • Get the business card of all law enforcement personnel on the scene, specifically the investigating police officer.


What are the most common car accident injuries?

Car accident injuries vary widely. While seat belts and airbags save lives, they can also cause injuries. Below are some of the most common car accident injuries.

  • Soft tissue injuries such as damage to muscles, ligaments, and tendons

  • Whiplash

  • Low and mid-back injuries like muscle sprains or damage to the spine

  • Injuries to the head such as concussion

  • Bruises, scrapes, or deep lacerations

  • Chest injuries such as contusions, bruises, broken ribs, and damage to internal organs

  • Injuries to the lower leg, ankle, or feet


Injuries from car accidents are often not immediately obvious. Symptoms, especially those associated with head injuries, may not appear for months. If you are in a car accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and again later if other symptoms appear.

Where do I get my car accident report?

The investigating law enforcement agency will prepare an accident report in most situations where the accident occurs on a public road. While multiple law enforcement agencies may respond to an accident, only one of them will have primary responsibility for preparing the accident report.

Get the names of all agencies and individuals present at the accident scene. Ask who will be preparing the report. Car accident attorney Jim Fleenor routinely deals with law enforcement agencies and can help get your accident report.


What happens if I’m in a car accident with no police report?

Police reports do not carry the weight in court that many assume they do. In fact, in Alabama, juries are rarely allowed to see an accident report.


Experienced accident attorney Jim Fleenor frequently establishes legal liability without an accident or police report.

How do you know who is at fault in a car accident?

There are many ways used to determine who is “at fault” in a car accident, but the investigating law enforcement officer doesn’t usually determine who is at fault.


That doesn’t mean that someone cannot be held responsible or liable for the damage and injuries caused. An experienced car accident attorney can investigate the causes of a car accident to ensure that everyone responsible is held accountable and liable.

What happens if I’m in a car accident and the other driver is at fault?

Unfortunately, establishing who is at fault legally for a car accident is more complicated than the initial accident report’s determination, and most accident reports do not define “fault” or responsibility.


The reports may note contributing factors, or they may note nothing at all. Nevertheless, an experienced attorney can determine who is legally responsible and fight for the compensation you deserve for your damages and injuries.

What happens if I’m in a car accident without insurance?

Even if the other person in the accident doesn’t have insurance, you should have uninsured motorist coverage through your insurance. Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage is very important because it provides liability coverage in situations where the person who causes you damage or injury does not have insurance.


You would think that your insurance company would pay you when you are hurt by an uninsured motorist, but most do not eagerly pay those claims. Car accident attorney Jim Fleenor can help you recover all the compensation you deserve, especially from your own insurance company.

Will a car accident affect insurance rates?

Generally, each insurance company has its own policies about how an accident may impact insurance rates.


However, your loss history is only one factor that may affect your rates.  Don’t let that stop you from filing a claim. We can help maximize your recovery.

What if I’m in a car accident and airbags didn’t deploy?

Any time that any safety feature fails to work as it should, there may be a claim.  This claim could be against the car and/or the part manufacturer, whoever installed the product or did repair or maintenance on it, or if the product was defective, either due to its design or manufacture.


It takes an experienced accident attorney to investigate all possible causes and  ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for damages and injuries sustained in an accident.

Practice Areas

Alternative Dispute Resolution

Class Actions & Mass Torts

Commercial Litigation

Premises Liability

Product Liability

Workers’ Compensation

Related Practice Areas

About Jim Fleenor


Contact Us Today

Contact us today for a free initial consultation.

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page